Cvs Pharmacy - CVS pharmacist lies and causes me problems

I regularly take a prescription drug which, for the past year, has been in a shortage nationwide. The fda has it on its list of drugs for which there is a shortage. But some pharmacies have some of the drug.

When you get your prescription for the drug you have to phone around to as many pharmacies as you can and ask them if they have any in stock.

The CVS pharmacy where I managed to find some the last 3 times I was able to fill it was one that I called this time. The pharmacist there said, "I won't tell you on the telephone whether I have the drug in stock or not" I said, "But I'd have to drive over two hours to ask you in person, and if you didn't have any, it would have been a terrible waste of my time and money". She said, "Too bad. That's a CVS policy" what she didn't realize that I had just called 15 other CVS's and they were all too happy to check their inventory for me on the phone. I am upset because I need to get this filled, and I can't help but think that she probably DOES have it in stock, otherwise why wouldn't she have just said, "NO I dont' have any" ? This person is playing some kind of power game and I'm absolutely furious about it.

Her name is Elizabeth Odu, she's 26 years old and works at the CVS in Eustus, FL.

review #318003
40 37 Helpful?
Had the same issue23 Comments62
Had an experience with Cvs Pharmacy?  Submit review about this company
Is it your business?
Respond to your customers as verified company representative.
Apply for free plan
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login

Feb 10 #943882 Paoli, Pennsylvania

I just got back from dental surgery with an RX for Percocet. I sent my husband to the same CVS I got my antibiotics from two days ago. This is the same CVS that has never (in the 15 years I have been going there) been "out of stock" on any of the narcotics I have picked up for my elderly mother. Suddenly they say they don't have percocet and they refuse to tell him what store does.
The numbness is wearing off, it is rush hour, every pharmacy has a 20m minimum wait just to talk to someone about this, and now he has to come back to get my insurance card so he can play musical pharmacies until he finds one that will fill it. If he looked like a junkie before, imagine how bad it looks now? CVS just lost 3 customers.
Regarding the safety argument, no one is asking you for a detailed inventory report. We are asking if you can fill a prescription or not. The attitude from pharmicists on this thread is shameful. If I were a junkie I would assume all pharmacies have drugs - really, that's why you exist, not to judge people and deny them medications.

Oct 31, 2014 #893372

Simple answer. If you're 1 day early they are out of stock. They are simply checking the computer to see if you are early and then lying to your face.

2 0 Reply

Oct 16, 2014 #885324

To tell you the truth, most pharmacies don't give out their narcotic inventory information over the phone. They just say they don't have it because they don't know you and can't verify that the prescription is legit without seeing it in person. You might have better luck if you fax your prescription over just so that the pharmacist can check the prescription and make sure everything is good then they will probably feel more comfortable checking stock for you. Don't forget to bring the hardcopy to the pharmacy when you come to fill it though. Just an idea.

JerseyGirl

Aug 27, 2014 #862330 Hamilton Square, New Jersey

Just went to the CVS that fills all our Rx.s. I had a script from my DR, but they did not have what I needed in stock. I asked if they could call the other CVS right down the road, and they said no, that state law (NJ) prohibits that. WTF?!? I understand if I called, but from one CVS to another cant be done? I think it was BS. Does anyone know if there really is a law, or were they just too lazy to do make the call?

Oct 16, 2014 #885326

I don't know NJ law, but honestly, even between CVS to CVS. they will not give out their narcotic inventory information over the phone. It's just a waste of time and they are putting up a show if they do call. The other pharmacy is going to say no, we don't have it in stock without even checking it unless the employees from two different pharmacies are buddy buddy and they know each other personally.

pissed off victim

Dec 22, 2014 #919812

I can't count how many times I've asked if they can tell me who has my oxycodone 10, s or 15, s in stock and they always tell me they're not allowed to tell me, and that other responder is right if your trying to fill your script early, first they lie to you and say "let me see if there in stock," like they don't know after filling them all day, and they're actually going to the data base to see your recent history and if your one day early they'll tell you they don't have any in stock, I miss the days when you brought a script to the pharmacist and they filled, not embarrassing you and making you feel like a criminal!

Pissed

May 23, 2014 #818699

This article is so accurate. Welcome to the amphetamine prescription drug game. They are always going to be unwilling to fill it cause it's more work, they have to ping the Rx junkie database etc.

Tommy Belesis

Apr 12, 2014 #804518 Manhattan, New York

short CVS STOCK NOW ALL OF YOU ,, LETS RUN THAT *** ORGANZIATION IN TO THE GROUND<>>> UNTIL THEIR COMPANY IS BANKRUPT AND OUT OF COMMISSION>..

baRACK OBAMA

Apr 12, 2014 #804515 Washington, District Of Columbia

JESUS CHRIST CVS IS A WRETCHED RIDICULOUS PHARMACY , THE MOST HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE PHARMACIES TECHS ON THE FACE OF THE GOD DAMMN PLANET, NOT ONLY DO THEY TREAT LIKE A UNWELCOME ANIMALISTIC UN-HUMANE HUMAN BEING, THEY ACT IN UNPROFESSINAL DEROGTORY MEANS, THEY LIE, AND ARE INCREDIBLELY HARD TO DEAL WITH. DO NOT GO THERE, I HOPE CVS IS BANKRUPT AND OUT OF BUSINESS IN THE NEXT YEAR OR SO, GOD FORBID YOU HAVE AN ADDERALL SCRIPT AND YOU BRING IT THERE, YOU WILL BE TREATED LIKE DOG, AUTHORTATIVE AGRERSSIVE MANOR IS USED BY THESE UNEDUACTED PILL COUNTERS *** *** IDIOTS THEY ARE! *** CVS TO ***, I RECOMEND WAL GREENS OR DUANE READS, THEY GO NO TROUBLE AND MAKE YOU WELCOME AND ARE SUCH KIND HEARTED INDIDIVUALS I HOPE THEY ALL RECEIVE A RAISE. CVS IS CONSISTENTLY OUT OF STOCK AND IF FOR GOD *** SAKES YOU ARE ONE DAY EARLY WITH A SCRIPT THEY TELL YOU WE CAN'T FILLL IT YOUR TOO EARLY KILL YOUR SELF IS WHAT REALLY COME AS SAYING TO YOU, *** CVS TO DEATH, SHORT THAT STOCK , CLOSE THAT *** *** CIOMPANY AMEN

Oct 16, 2014 #885327

Honestly, filling narcotics early is against the law. They have every right to refuse your prescription if it's brought early to the pharmacy.
As to being derogative, that is a problem.

Apr 30 #978609

Honestly, you can fill C2 medications up to three days early.

Mar 26, 2014 #799025 Litchfield Park, Arizona

Im sorry but its not their responsibility to give you inventory on controlled medications, sorry for your troubles but just go to another pharmacy.

2 5 Reply
People are so dumb

Jan 21, 2014 #776335 Okinawa, Okinawa

Some will, some won't. None have to. It is a safety issue. I would not tell someone over the phone if I have narcotics on hand if I worked in a pharmacy. It is asking to be robbed or worse.

1 3 Reply
Jk

Jan 21, 2014 #776095

I also encountered a similar experience with CVS. I also called over 10 CVS pharmacies to see if they had my prescription in stick because a lot if them said it was on back order. In the ten phone calls all staff at each pharmacy was willing to answer my question about their stock. However, the eleventh CVS that I called, the lady answering the phone in the pharmacy asked "what is the name of the prescription - like all the others asked - when I disclosed it was for a painkiller she immediately said "I can't give that information on the phone" I preceded to say that all other pharmacies answered my question. She denied the information and said you will have to drive here to figure that out. It was also over an hour drive away! I got there and the answer was no! Unbelievable! I said rather loudly you couldn't just say no to save me the time and gas? I suffer from several painful conditions- I'm so pissed that addicts ruin it for people who really have justifiable causes for the medication. It's awful the way I get treated - I didn't ask for these painful diagnosis! I struggle everyday and wish I could just be pain free. I have no doubt one day these ignorant *** offs will suffer from an ailment n hope they are treated as badly as they treat others. Charmas a *** *** offs!

Mar 26, 2014 #799026 Litchfield Park, Arizona

Its not thr addicts who are to blame, its politicians and anyone else who has decided they know what is best for others.I think its peoples expectations that are wrong.

1 2 Reply
narcprob

Oct 16, 2014 #885331

I disagree. Look at the stats on how many painkillers US takes vs the world, it's crazy. We have a problem

NarcProb

Oct 16, 2014 #885330

We do have a problem as a country. we are only 4% of the world's population and from all the hydrocodones produced in the world, US consumes 99% of them. out of all the oxycodones produced in the world, 71% of them are consumed in the US. and all the opiates produced in the world, 81% of them are consumed in the world. This is an epidemic. Why is America in so much pain? It's unbelievable.

Jul 02, 2013 #673170 New Orleans, Louisiana

I work for CVS in a high crime area. We don't disclose information like that (for narcotics) over the phone because we don't want to get robbed. It really is policy.

2 0 Reply
annoied

Jan 26, 2013 #599497

I'm having the same issue, and stumbled across this post. I would be more than happy to volunteer my previous 8 years of RX history and whatever other identifying information so they could look and see that I'm just asking if they have the same prescription that I get every month. There has to be a better way of managing customers than this. Why can't local CVS stores check for inventories nearby? :sigh

LadyScot

Jan 26, 2013 #599521 Naples, Florida

If you had bothered to read the replies you would see that there are not many pharmacies that will tell you wheat their inventory is. Doctors call us all the time asking if we have this narcotic or that one, we always say NO.

If you need a medication that is not a controlled substance we are happy to call around for you, and we do regularly. But we are not going to call for something we know no one will disclose to us. For good reason.

1-20 of 62 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.