2.3K views

I am out of my mind right about now...In case you regrettably signed up to be notified about "deals" from CVS Pharmacy, this little anecdote is something you should consider the next time you think you're going to find a "bargain" at CVS.

CVS floods your inbox continuously with coupons for online and/or in-store "bargains", but the problem begins with the fine print. First, if you happen to have the patience to attempt reading the font 1 point fine print text and following any other links embedded therein for more fine print, better get out your log book to record the extensive itemization of exclusions. You'll need this once you're ready to go online or to the store.

Then, once you're in the store (or online), there is a conspicuous sense of confusion that surrounds the deciphering of what's on sale vs what's not, what's eligible vs what's not, because apparently, CVS likes to play games here, such as "hiding" exclusions by having extracare "specials" assigned to an item that the customer will not discover until the item is scanned at check-out.

I had a 25% OFF Entire Order coupon that I attempted to use today. I needed to buy some fairly expensive items, and thought I would take advantage of the opportunity. I perused the store, randomly filling my basket with the things I needed, and when I got to the register and all was tallied, I ended up saving $5 on $100 of products. The most expensive item - the Gillette Fusion razor cartridges priced very economically at $31 for 8 cartridges (I'm being facetious, in case you didn't realize) was one such item that had a "hidden" special attached, thereby rendering it ineligible for the discount - a $10 "extracare" bucks "reward", that of course is valid only for a short time after you just spent $100 stocking up on things you need to last a number of months. Useless.

This entire game is simply a scam to get the unsuspecting consumer into the store, or online, to then steal as much money as possible from them. It is easier to delete the transaction if you're online and they *** you off, but when you're in the store, dealing with an incompetent cashier and management, with a line forming behind you that begins to extend down an aisle, it's not so simple.

It's all about corporate greed...and not just the run-of-the-mill corporate greed, but the ever prevalent obscene version of corporate greed that is consuming every aspect of an average person's life who is simply trying to stay above water and keep the household supplied with necessary provisions - you know - soap, shampoo, shaving supplies, oral care, etc...things one requires to maintain some semblance of a "normal", healthy, socially acceptable human existence. Well, my friends, CVS and the rest of them will not be happy until they have bled every last penny from every possible consumer on planet earth.

You choose - continue to roam around in a frontal-lobotomized catatonic state, voluntarily handing over your increasingly hard-earned cash to corporate criminals intent on robbing you every minute of every day at will, or FIGHT BACK. It's very easy to fight - just simply STOP patronizing their "establishment". But NOTHING will change if me and a few others stop - it takes numbers, and it's about friggin' time the masses woke up and did something about where this miserable planet is headed under the control of its corporate gods.

F-YOU CVS - YOU WILL NEVER SEE ANOTHER PENNY FROM ME IN THIS, OR ANY OTHER LIFETIME.

Thank you very little.

Review about: Cvs Pharmacy Coupon.

Comments

You are so right on. I just tried to use my 40% off coupon on one non-sale item, and the entire store has Sale stickers on every shelf.

The "sale" is buy one get one 50% off. Well, I don't want two bottles of fiber gummies, and only one ISN'T on sale, but no, can't use the coupon for that. Can't use it for a bag of chips, those too are Buy One, 50% off second. Really, CVS could just offer 75% off coupons because they never have to pay off.

Maybe a $1 candy bar might not be on sale, gee, I can save 75 cents!

I just go to Walgreen's, Target and Walmart instead, where they don't insult my intelligence with this B.S. Boycott CVS.

I know this is old but having just received another 40% off coupon in my email for CVS which angers me tremendously because I can never use it... I started looking online and found this thread.

I too am sick and tired of trying to use a coupon at CVS and being told all you can't use it it's on sale... is everything in their freaking store on sale?

And honestly their sales are really not sales at all. What I do now is take my 40% coupon and find some gum or mints that are not on sale if that is even possible and I buy those

Agree

I couldn't agree with you more and want to figure out a way to get this greed to stop!~~~

I carefully selected $40 worth of products which did not seem to be on sale only to discover at the register that all but one cheap toothbrush and two travel items were excluded because of notices posted in another part of the aisle, in another part of the store or in the flyer. Needless to say, I purchased nothing and am now only using CVS for prescriptions because of insurance coverage. Even there I find that they often do not have common medications but must order them requiring multiple trips to get all I need.

@JT

Perfect example of what I just said. Instead of transparent customer service a CVS shill posts paragraphs of propaganda.

What a bunch of losers. Hope stockholders and potential customers see this forum and save themselves dissappointment.

CVS is the worst managed chain with zero customer service and they don't even want to hear from customers. Their loyalty card is for you to be loyal but not them.

What a crappy company. Promised discounts get you to come to the store and then it's, "Sorry you don't get any discounts." Thank god for Walmart and Walgreens.

Greenwood, Indiana, United States #1338448

I agree. CVS is a complete ripoff!

So many times I have tried to use discounts only to find out that it was attached to the wrong CVS member number or it did not apply to that item. I also don't appreciate the three foot long receipts we get.

I am going to quit shopping at CVS there coupons never work and if you cannot send it to your card you have to print it. This is crazy to me!!

This poster's accusations are quite unfounded, and the sale and promotional system used by CVS is actually extremely useful if you know what you are doing. Let me explain:

Firstly, there is no reason to be confused about what is on sale and what is not.

Every single sale and promotion happening in the store, at any time, can be found in the weekly ad-booklet, which can be found in a stack in the front of the store and is also commonly distributed in Sunday papers. There are also sale signs hung throughout the store on each item by employees, which can possibly be placed incorectly, but are generally correct. It doesn't matter much anyhow, because if a sale is listed in the ad, you WILL get the item for the listed price and/or get the displayed reward. Even in the very slim chance it doesn't ring up correctly, and a computer error is to blame, the cashier is obligated to honor whatever sale or promotion is advertised in the ad-booklet, and will modify accordingly.

Additionally, the sale and reward system at CVS is quite generous.

In fact, it is as generous as it can possibly be without creating the opportunity for a large and unexpected financial loss. This is mostly due to avoiding potential exploitation by couponers, and what is referred to by coupon-savvy people as "moneymakers." This is when, at any given time, coupons (store and manufacturer) are in circulation that, combined with sales and rewards on certain items, can be used synergistically to create a situation in which the reward for buying something outweighs the price of the item. This is a constant occurrence. The thing is, CVS doesn't even avoid them altogether, but for the good of the average customer, just cuts the loss down to a manageable one.

One inevitable thing that had to done, unfortunately, was to exclude "total percentage" coupons from being able to be applied to sale and promotional items.

Another reason for this exclusion was to combat return fraud. Since CVS allows customers to return items without the original receipt for store credit, again to help out the average customer, it creates an opportunity for fraudulent people to buy something on sale, and/or obtain a reward, and return it afterward for its full retail value, keeping whatever rewards they had obtained.

Theae factors and many, many more come into play when deciding how to balance the promotional system.

I know for a fact that CVS would be guaranteed to go out of business if enough customers knew how to exploit this system and CVS policy, and decided to do so too suddenly. They rely on good natured and honest customers to be able to offer the amount of rewards they do. Ofcourse they benefit from being able to offer the best possible prices while still making a profit, that's the nature of a competitive market.

Claiming "corporate greed" is ignorant in this case, because whether they are greedy or not, only *** business-people would want to lose customers over poor or confusing shopping experiences.

It seems this poster didn't take the time to inform themselves about how sales and promotions operate at CVS, only read the top part of his/her coupon (exclusions are always listed,) and then got angry because their assumptions were not correct. The truth is, if you spend a little time to learn how to use the system to its full potential, you can save huge amounts of money (as usually at least half the store is on sale any giveb week, the SAME reason his % coupon didnt apply to most things is vecause most things he grabbed at random were on some kind of sale or promotion) and possibly even get PAID to shop at CVS if you take the time to get good at couponing, and that's just real

to JT Greenwood, Indiana, United States #1338450

Work for CVS? ***!

You're a *** if you can't navigate CVS coupons. The stores I go to label each item in the store that is on sale and the coupons clearly show the expiration date and what it can't be applied to.

You're too *** to realize you just saved 30% on the razors and if you had structured your payment you could have done a separate transaction and applied the 10 dollars to your remaining purchase. Stop making excuses and learn how to be responsible.

Same thing has happened to me several times. One clerk gave me a complicated and senseless explanation.

Today I went to a clerk I know/trust and she explained that the $50 item was on sale. I showed her that there was (1) nothing about "buy one, get one half-price" on the aisle and, (2) there was only one left. She refunded me the item, them sold it to me again with the 20% discount I was entitled to.

But this has happened enough times that I, too, am going to stop using CVS. I think their computers do this on purpose.

to Anonymous #1141817

Do you realise that if it's buy one get one,and there's only one,CVS will sell you the one at %50 off? They got a deal by you insisting they sell you one at full price and honour your %20 off!

Thanks for venting my rage for me. I was searching online to see if anyone else was fed up with CVS's deceptive coupons and found your post.

It seems like anything you're likely to want is subject to a promotional scheme -- buy two and get 50% off the third -- that makes it ineligible for the 25% (or whatever) off coupon. I'm tempted to photograph a coupon and then take in-store photos of all the excluded merchandise and post the images online, to remind people what they can't use the discount for.

I'm done with CVS. CVS=Conniving Venomous Scumbags.

California, United States #932882

I just realized this myself about CVS and their coupons. What a scam.

I had a 30 percent off coupon and a 10$ rewards bucks so decided to but a high end hair product only to see once I got home that they took off the 10$ before applying the 30percent off. So I didn't save 30 but 15 percent instead.

I've been going to cvs for years. Can't imagine how much I was taken for.

Worcester, Massachusetts, United States #920240

Yep. This is the second Christmas I ordered from cvs.com.

Last year, the package just never arrived. This year, they have cancelled a couple of the items, and forgot about the free shipping. Doubletalk is all you get on the phone.

Sign me up, if there is a class action lawsuit. CVS....YOU SUCK.

I AGREE. I ordered items online for a discount and free shipping.

When I did not receive the free shipping, I called to cancel the order. Now there is no record of the call. The package shipped and they refuse to give me the free shipping. When I called, their lines are too busy or you get disconnected.

When I asked for a manager, I got a voice mail with no return call. It's a joke that they call this "Customer Care." Now they want me to refuse the package or initiate paperwork to return the package. They are spending hundreds of dollars to handle this issue when they could simply give me the free shipping.

CVS doesn't care even when you've been a long time loyal rewards member. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH CVS OR THEIR DECEPTIVE COUPONS.

to Hate CVS #1000546

Same thing for me only the product was free and I was to pay $4.95 for shipping. I found the part about "agreeing that money can be taken out of my account monthly.," and I tried to cancelled and thought all was taken care of, but no, I just got charged $97.00 for the free product and have no recourse.

Happens all the time at CVS. I left ($90) worth of merchandise at counter & walked out.